THE FAYETTEVILLE AREA SHAG ASSOCIATON
ARTICLE 1. NAME
The name of this club shall be The Fayetteville Area Shag Association.
ARTICLE 2. PURPOSE
The purpose of this club is to perpetuate and preserve the dance, to promote beach music and the atmosphere surrounding the dance, and to create and maintain an environment conducive to the dance.
ARTICLE 3. PERPETUAL BOARD
SECTION 1. The Perpetual Board of Directors shall consist of the club’s original board of directors at the time of FASA’s founding.
SECTION 2. The duties of this Perpetual Board are to ensure that ARTICLE 2 of the By-Laws is adhered to.
SECTION 3. The Perpetual Board will also serve as an advisory board to the FASA Executive Committee.
SECTION 4. Should a member of the Perpetual Board of Directors resign or not be able to perform their duties, these position/positions will be filled by the Perpetual Board from the general membership.
ARTICLE 4. MEMBERS
SECTION 1. All prospective members must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age. All petitions received prior to the scheduled monthly meeting will be presented at this meeting and voted upon at that meeting. A two-thirds (2/3) vote of members present shall elect prospective members to membership.
SECTION 2. Club dues shall be $30.00 per person per year, due and payable at the Re-Up party in January each year. Applicants who join August 1st or later in the year will pay $20 in dues.
SECTION 3. CONDUCT. Any member whose conduct is detrimental to the good of the club or its purpose can be removed from membership by a two thirds (2/3) vote of the Perpetual Board and the current Executive Committee.
ARTICLE 5. OFFICERS
SECTION 1. The officers of the club shall be:
Sergeant at Arms
The initially elected officers are to become members of the Perpetual Board of Directors upon leaving their elected office.
SECTION 2. The parliamentary authority for the club shall be ROBERTS RULES OF ORDER.
SECTION 3. The duties of the club officers are:
1. To open all meetings at the prescribed time and place.
2. To conduct all business before the club.
3. To restrain the members when engaged in a debate within the rules of Order.
4. To authenticate by his/her signature when necessary all acts, orders, contracts and checks of the club.
5. To act as spokesman for the club.
6. To adjourn any meetings where order cannot be maintained.
7. To appoint the nominating committee for the yearly election of club members subject to the approval of the club at the regularly scheduled October meeting.
8. To serve as ex-officio member on all committees except the nominating committee.
9. The executive committee shall present a proposed budget in January to the membership.
B. VICE PRESIDENT
1. To assume the duties of the President in his absence.
2. To act as club Parliamentarian.
C. RECORDING SECRETARY
1. To keep minutes of all club meetings.
2. To read minutes of previous meetings.
3. To preside over all meetings in the absence of the President and Vice President.
D. CORRESPONDING SECRETARY
1. To conduct all club correspondence as directed.
2. To maintain a list of all club officers, committee members and the general membership.
1. To receive and bank all monies due to the club.
2. To keep bookkeeping records of all funds.
3. To dispense all money as the club may direct.
4. To give monthly financial reports.
5. To give a complete financial statement at the annual meeting.
6. To insure all checks are approved by the President.
F. SERGEANT AT ARMS
1. To police all assemblies of the club.
2. To control entry to all club functions and assemblies.
SECTION 4. TERMS OF OFFICE. The elected officers shall be elected in the following manner:
Nominations for officers shall be made at the regularly scheduled meeting in November of each year. In addition to those names proposed by the nominating committee, nominations may be received from the floor. Officers shall be elected by ballot at the first of the regularly scheduled meeting in December of each year. Officers shall assume their duties on the first day of January following election to serve for one-year terms.
SECTION 5. No member shall hold more than one office at a time and no member shall be eligible to serve more than two consecutive terms in the same office.
ARTICLE 6. MEETINGS
SECTION 1. The regular meeting in December shall be known as the annual meeting, and shall be for the purpose of election new officers and receiving annual reports of committees.
SECTION 2. The regularly scheduled meeting of the club shall be held at 8 pm monthly. Special meetings may be called by the Executive Committee or by written request of ten members. Six days notice must be given except in cases of emergency.
ARTICLE 7. EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
SECTION 1. The Executive Committee shall be made up of the club’s elected officers, President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Treasurer, and Sergeant At Arms. The Perpetual Board shall serve as advisors to the Executive Committee and meet with them at either the Executive Committee’s request or the request of any member of the Perpetual Board.
SECTION 2. The Executive Committee will generally supervise the affairs of the club between regular meetings subject to the rules of the club and none of its acts shall conflict with action taken by the club.
SECTION 3. The Executive Committee shall not expend an amount to exceed two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) for unexpected expenses between regular club meetings.
SECTION 4. The executive committee shall present a proposed budget in January to the membership.
ARTICLE 8. STANDING COMMITTEES
SECTION 1. TELEPHONE COMMITTEE DUTIES.
1. To obtain current lists of membership to develop a telephone tree for the purpose of notifying membership of current events.
SECTION 2. PUBLICITY COMMITTEE DUTIES
1. To coordinate shag club news with the monthly newsletter and schedule.
2. To coordinate and publicize club events through the media.
3. To establish a position within the committee of club photographer who shall also act as Historian.
SECTION 3. ENTERTAINMENT COMMITTEE DUTIES
1. Plan and publish annual social calendar.
2. Plan and prepare social events: Not less than four (4) per year.
3. Insure dance instruction is available.
SECTION 4. MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE DUTIES
1. Actively seek and recruit new members.
2. Review all membership applications and present applicants to the regular membership.
3. To keep records of all dues paying members.
SECTION 5. WAYS AND MEANS COMMITTEE DUTIES
1. To develop money making ideas.
2. Organize and conduct money making events.
ARTICLE 9. QUORUM
Fifteen percent of the total membership shall constitute a quorum.
ARTICLE 10. AMENDMENT OF BY-LAWS
These By-Laws may be amended by any regular meeting of the club by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members present, provided that the amendment has been submitted in writing at the previous regular meeting.